Today’s tasty treat is brought to you by gimmedelicious.com. The other day while preparing my usual avocado toast with egg whites, I wanted something else to with it. Nothing sweet, but something savory. I’m not a fan of breakfast at all! I’d much rather eat a leftover steak 🤷🏽♀️.
I then remembered that 1 lonely zucchini I had left in the fridge on the verge of turning, and it came to me…fried zucchini! Oven fried that is 😉. I had a pretty good idea of what to do but I went searching for a recipe and landed on gimmedelicious.com. The recipe was simple and fool proof.
(Before the oven)
I love vegetables, especially those covered in a crunchy batter. I’ve always been a fan of Carl’s Jr.’s fried zucchini but I knew I could replicate if not make a better version at home, and I was right! Well I mean it’s not my recipe per say, but I made it lol.
*Note: I made this recipe for one by using 1 larger zucchini and reducing everything in the recipe by half*
Here is what you’ll need, and the instructions straight from the site:
The Best Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
• 3-4 large zucchini
• 1 cup bread crumbs panko or Italian or a mixture of both
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese optional
• 2 eggs
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder optional
• salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and lightly grease with oil. Set aside.
2. Combine 2 eggs in a small shallow bowl and set aside. Combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in another bowl and set aside. Prepare zucchini by trimming the ends and cutting into 1/2 inch strips or slices.
3. Dip zucchini strips into egg mixture then in the breadcrumb mixture and transfer to pre-greased baking sheet. Repeat until all the zucchini strips are coated with egg and breadcrumbs.
4. Seasoning with salt, pepper and garlic powder then drizzle with olive oil or generously spray with cooking spray.
5. Bake in the preheated oven, turning once, until golden and crisp, 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and crispy. Enjoy hot with chipotle sauce, ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce!
I would suggest definitely using the Parmesan! The little edges containing parmesan that got a tad bit darker were like delicious little cheese crisps! My dipping sauce choice was good ol’ Hidden Valley Ranch. These could easily substitute for fries. I’d give this recipe a 10 out of 10!
Until next time…🦋